FIRE UP THE GRILL – BBQ SEASON HAS IGNITED AT ALDI!
ALDI launches competition to find Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master, in partnership with chef John Relihan, with a €5,000 ALDI gift card up for grabs!
Calling all BBQ lovers! There’s nothing like lazing on a sunny afternoon and grazing on a BBQ feast but let’s not pretend there isn’t a dose of healthy showmanship involved in manning the BBQ and hosting friends and family!
This summer, ALDI is on a quest to find the kings and queens of BBQ with one lucky winner being crowned Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master. Fancy yourself as something of a BBQ maestro? Does someone in your family always insist on wearing the BBQ apron? Or do you have a friend who refuses to relinquish control of the tongs? Have you got what it takes to pursue the title of Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master? If so, ALDI want to hear from you!
To mark the occasion, ALDI has teamed up with chef, BBQ extraordinaire and fire cooking expert, John Relihan. John started his culinary career as an apprentice of Jamie Oliver, working his way up to serve as top chef at Barbecoa, Oliver’s celebrated barbecue and steak restaurant in London. Today, John is widely regarded as one of Ireland’s top pitmasters and is currently stationed at Pitt Bro’s restaurant in Dublin. As a fire cooking expert, he hosts his own deluxe BBQ dining experience, Twe12ve Fires, around the country and this summer John is taking on the role of head judge for ALDI’s Hottest Grill Master competition.
Later this summer, one lucky winner will be crowned Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master and will win a €5,000 ALDI gift card for first prize, plus an ALDI Egg BBQ. Four lucky runners-up will get their hands on a €250 ALDI gift card and ALDI summer hamper.
Speaking about his involvement with ALDI’s summer BBQ campaign, Relihan said: “I am a huge fan of ALDI’s Bord Bia Quality Assured meats and have been a customer for many years now. The quality of the meat speaks for itself, and it is 100% Irish which is very important to me. When the opportunity came about to partner with ALDI, I jumped at the chance to share my passion for grilling and BBQing. Over the course of the summer, I will share my top BBQ tips and recipes, and highlight my favourite meat cuts and BBQ essentials, and I’ll also take on the role of Head Judge for Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master competition. I look forward to reviewing the talent of applicants from around the country!”
To help get you into the spirit, Relihan has gathered his top ten tips, plus one for luck, to make sure your next BBQ is a smoking hot success!
- Colour and marbling When shopping for beef, the two most important things to keep eye out for are colour and marbling. When it comes to colour, beef should be bright red or purplish. Marbling – the fat streaking within the cut of meat – is also crucial as it will add so much flavour and a buttery richness to your steak when cooked.
- Brine and marinate your meat Bring you chicken, pork shoulders, or turkey as it will keep the meat more juicy and moist when cooking low and slow. Inject some instant flavour into your cuts by marinating them overnight. that is a great way of getting more flavour and impact for the meats.
- Baste your meat Baste your meat when grilling with a herb brush. This will keep your meat moist and help it caramelise. Simply tie rosemary and thyme onto a wooden spoon and dip the herbs in a little melted butter and rub on your meat.
- Low and slow When cooking meat on the grill, always keep it low and slow – low temperature and slow cooking. The optimum temperature is 120° Celsius.
- Keep it saucy Don’t brush glazes or sauces onto the meat until towards the end. This will help ensure the meat doesn’t burn due to the sugars in the sauce.
- Test your meat It can be hard to tell how well-done meat is on the barbecue by sight alone. Always check whether the juices run clear or, for a more accurate reading, invest in a temperature probe.
- Give it a rest When meat is cooked, it’s a good idea to rest it for a few minutes. This will help it reabsorb its juices and become more tender. The bigger the cut, the longer you rest it. My top tip? Place it in a tray with oil, lemon and rosemary and leave to rest for 3-4 minutes before slicing. Delicious!
- Use the right fuel Use proper fuel when grilling or BBQing like lumpwood charcoal or – my favourite – oak wood. Have fun and experiment with different woods!
- Manage your fire Make a safe spot on the grill where the heat is lower than elsewhere. That way you can move the meat to the low heat area if and when you feel there are too many flames. and let the meat still cook but on a lower temperature.
- Always make sure your grill is clean Buy a good wire brush and brush down the grill. Using a towel and a tong, dab the towel with a little olive oil and rub onto the grill. This will ensure your meat or fish doesn’t stick.
Last but certainly not least John recommends that you have fun with it! There is an art to great cooking but if it doesn’t work the first time, try again, and don’t give up. Practice makes perfect and it’s worth the effort!
So, what are you waiting for? ALDI is calling on the people of Ireland to submit their nominations to the Hottest Grill Master Competition, so if you want to show off your smoking hot BBQ skills simply log onto ALDI.ie/hottest-grill-master to tell us why your nominee deserves to win the title of Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master.
Competition entries open on 26th May and close on 5th July so make sure to fire those entries over! For more information, and all competition Terms & Conditions, visit ALDI.ie/hottest-grill-master.
And don’t break a sweat. ALDI has everything you need to cook up a storm for friends and family this summer, from Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish meat cuts, sensational summer salads and seasonal ingredients plus top-notch Specialbuy BBQ tools and equipment.
Whether you fancy sinking your teeth into a mouth-watering burger or chomping down on deliciously charred chicken, ALDI is your one stop shop for BBQ goodies this summer. In the meantime, why not whet your appetite for the summer ahead with these simple BBQ recipes from the ALDI website:
Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Angus Beef Burgers
- 2 packs of Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Angus Beef Burgers
- 1 pack Brioche Burger Buns
- Vintage Cheddar, sliced
- 4 Red Onions
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 2tbsp Brown Sugar
- 4tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 50g Raisins
- 2 pinches of Cinnamon
- 2 pinches of Mixed Spice (optional)
- 1tbsp butter
- Sizzle the burgers on the BBQ for 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked through the middle so there is no pink. (They will take about the same amount of time to cook if you do them indoors in a frying pan).
- Once your burgers are cooked, place them on the baps (spread with mayonnaise if you like), top with the onion marmalade and slices of cheddar.
- To make your onion marmalade, peel and slice the onions thinly and cook gently in olive oil in a saucepan for 15-20 minutes until soft, but not browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients to your saucepan (except the butter) and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and add butter. Stir to melt the butter and spread the marmalade out on a large plate to cool quickly.
- Store marmalade in a jar (with lid) in the fridge. It will last for 2-3 weeks.
Finger Lickin’ BBQ Chicken
- Pack of Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Chicken Thighs
- Pack of Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Chicken Wings
- Pack of Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Chicken Drumsticks
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Coriander
- 2 Fresh Limes
- A tub of Coleslaw
- BBQ Sauce
- Remove the chicken from its packaging and place on a plate.
- Cover with tin foil and let it stand for 30 minutes to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Heat the BBQ grill to high heat.
- Brush the chicken drumsticks, thighs, and wings with a little extra olive oil.
- Place the thighs and drumsticks in the centre of the grill and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, using tongs to turn regularly.
- Place the wings around the thighs and drumsticks, on a slightly cooler part of the grill, and let them cook for 20 to 25 minutes, turning regularly.
- When the chicken has cooked through, remove from the grill, and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, chop the coriander leaves and cut the lime into segments.
- Serve the BBQ chicken with a scatter of fresh coriander leaves, some lime segments on the side for squeezing, a bowl of our Specially Selected coleslaw for extra crunch, and some BBQ sauce for dunking.
For all your ALDI Amazing Summer BBQ inspiration visit https://www.ALDI.ie/c/recipes/summer-bbq
BBQ recipes shopping list:
- Stonemill Mixed Spice (41g) €0.49
- Nature’s Pick Red Onions (750g) €0.59
- Stonemill Ground Cinnamon (40g) €0.65
- Nature’s Pick Limes (3 Pack) €0.69
- The Pantry Brown Sugar Light Soft Brown Sugar (500g) €0.79
- The Deli Creamy Coleslaw (220g) €0.79
- Bramwells Original BBQ Sauce (480g) €0.79
- Nature’s Pick Coriander Herb Pack (30g) €0.99
- The Pantry Juicy Raisins (500g) €1.19
- Specially Selected Sliced Brioche Burger Buns (4 pack, 200g) €1.29
- Kilkeely Creamery Butter (227g) €1.69
- Specially Selected Irish Hand Cut Vintage White Cheddar (160g) €2.19
- Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Chicken Drumsticks (915g) €2.39
- Specially Selected Balsamic Vinegar Of Modena (250ml) €2.49
- Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Marinated Chicken Wings (500g) €2.49 Choose from Chilli, Pepper and Garlic or Piri Piri.
- Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Specially Selected Black Angus 6oz Lean Beef Burger (340g) €3.59
- Bord Bia Quality Assured 100% Irish Marinated Chicken Thighs Boneless & Skinless (500g) €3.59 Choose from Lemon & Pepper and Spicy Jalapeno.
- Solesta Olive Oil (1l) €3.79