BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS! – ALDI HAS SPECIALLY SELECTED EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A MOUTHWATERING IRISH FRY THIS PADDY’S DAY
Plus chef and Aldi brand ambassador Catherine Fulvio shares her recipe for potato cakes!
With the country set to enjoy a jumbo St. Patrick’s Day celebration this year, why not celebrate Ireland’s national holiday with a traditional Irish fry using premium Irish ingredients?
Head to Aldi to stock up on breakfast essentials from the Specially Selected range including Irish hand tied sausages, Irish free-range eggs and fresh bread.
Whether you’re after a hearty breakfast to set you up for the long weekend or a cure after the night before, Aldi has everything you need to prepare a delicious full Irish breakfast.
See below for a full range of Specially Selected breakfast products available in Aldi:
- Chestnut Mushrooms/Flat Mushrooms – €0.79/250g
- Specially Selected Family Recipe Black Pudding – €0.99/300g
- Specially Selected Family Recipe White Pudding – €0.99/300g
- Specially Selected Vienna Bread – €1.49/500g – received Silver in the Blas na hÉireann Awards 2021
- Specially Selected Irish Free Range 6 Corn Fed Hen Eggs – €1.79
- Specially Selected Hand-Tied 12 Irish Pork Sausages – €2.19/492g (only €1.99 from the 03/03 – 16/03 with Aldi’s Super Six Promo!)
- Specially Selected 100% Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice Smooth – €2.29/1L
- Specially Selected Piccolo Tomatoes – €2.29/250g
- Irish Maris Piper Potatoes – €2.99/2.5kg
- Specially Selected 2 X 6 Unsmoked Back Rashers – €3.99/500g (2 x 250g)
- Specially Selected Multifloral Manuka Honey – €7.99/225g
If you fancy elevating your fry and taking it to the next level, why not try your hand at preparing potato cakes? Chef Catherine Fulvio, Aldi Brand Ambassador, has shared her recipe for her Shamrock Styled Potato Cakes with Aldi.
Commenting on her recipe, Fulvio said: “St. Patrick’s Day is a day for relaxing with friends and family – and what better way to do that than with food? Potato cakes are a quintessential Irish delicacy that lift any breakfast and taste just like home. They are easy, delicious and, best of all, versatile!
Serve potato cakes alongside a fry for a traditional Irish breakfast. Or for a meat-free alternative, make potato cakes to serve with wilted spinach, smoked salmon and crème fraiche. This is a winning combination that will be enjoyed by the whole family!”
Aldi’s Big Irish Specially Selected Fry Up with Potato Cakes & Crème Fraiche – by Catherine Fulvio
- 1kg Irish Maris Piper Potatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- 200g Clonbawn Crème Fraiche
- 1 ½ tsp Bramwells Dijon mustard
- 2 Specially Selected Irish Free Range egg yolks
- 3 tbsp spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g The Pantry flour to bind, plus extra to roll
- Specially Selected Cold Pressed rapeseed oil, for frying
- Few strips of green pepper for the shamrock stalks
- 100g Clonbawn Crème Fraiche, to serve
- 1 tbsp Specially Selected horseradish sauce, to serve
- Chives, to garnish
- Lemon, to serve
- Steam the potatoes until tender, drain well and mash with a potato ricer.
- Add the crème fraiche, mustard, egg yolks, sliced spring onions, season well with salt and pepper and mix.
- Add the flour (you may need a little more) to bring the potatoes to a kneading texture.
- Sprinkle additional flour on the work surface. Place the dough on top and roll or pat out to about 5cm high. Cut into shapes with a heart shaped cutter. If the cutter sticks, dip in flour.
- To cook, heat the butter and oil together over a medium heat and fry the potato cakes gently on both sides until golden brown. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, put three together in a shamrock shape and use a slice of green pepper as the stalk.
- Serve with crème fraiche mixed with horseradish sauce and a squeeze of lemon. Garnish with chives.
The above products and much more are available at 150 Aldi stores nationwide now. See aldi.ie for more information and delicious recipes.