ALDI AMBASSADOR AND CHEF, TRISHA LEWIS, SHARES HER TOP TIPS ON RESETTING YOUR GOALS THIS NEW YEAR!
Beat the blues this January with these fantastic tips and tricks from Aldi!
Whether you’re looking to introduce some healthier habits or beat those January blues, Aldi has some fantastic top tips and tricks, as well as a selection of delicious healthy recipes chosen by Aldi’s Brand Ambassador, Trisha Lewis, to enjoy this New Year.
Speaking about the New Year, Trisha Lewis said; “I think most people have the perception that the January mindset is all or nothing. You are groggy from all the delicious food in December, you have overindulged, and so it is very easy to tumble into the trap of a crazy detox and restriction. Just stop, take a moment, and think about it – life is for enjoying, for the living. Moderation and variety are key to a balanced lifestyle! Throughout my journey, I have learned that eating healthily is a lifestyle choice not a chore! So here, I have included my top tips and some healthy recipes from Aldi to help you RESET in January and get your 2022 off to a healthy start!”
Trisha’s top tips for the New Year include:
- Don’t be too strict & avoid fad diets
Any diet that has a crazily low-calorie intake, and only a short-term target, is a short-term solution. You need to think long term changes if you want to make a real difference!
- You always have time!
Our health is our wealthiest asset, so remove the age-old excuse that you don’t have the time. Make room for your health now so you don’t have to make time for your illness later.
- Keep your recipes simple and get some help!
Don’t overcomplicate your dishes – this isn’t sustainable. Ask for some help with the chopping and batch cook! The more time you save in the kitchen the more time you have for yourself.
- Focus on small changes that will become big results
Simple things like creating a habit of a 20-minute walk in the fresh air, reducing your screen time, increasing your water intake, and cleaning up your sleep hygiene will make all the difference when trying to reach those goals.
- Create a menu for the week ahead
Whether you batch cook or have different meals every day, it doesn’t matter, the key is to just plan, plan, plan.
- Write a shopping list and stick to it!
You will find yourself less motivated and more tempted to pick up items that are not suited to your end goal of a happier, healthier you if you go shopping without a list- it is like going on a hike with no map. Luckily, the huge variety of fresh and healthy produce at Aldi will be able to give you so much choice.
- Get an exercise plan you can stick to
Whether it is a walk, run, swim, home workout or PT session in the gym, it doesn’t matter! Do what you enjoy and only commit to what you know you can 100% do.
- Don’t make unrealistic targets
Last year I vowed to lose 4 stone in one year and that pressure was on my mind 24/7. Now, I am hoping that by the end of the year I will have just over one stone gone. When you set an unrealistic target, your focus will always be on the negative!
- Enjoy your life!
Although making healthier decisions is better for your all-round wellbeing, we still need to be able to enjoy ourselves. If you want the treat, have the treat. Life is all about balance, just remind yourself you can have anything that you want but just not all at the same time. Manage the portions!
To help implement these tips this New Year, Trisha has shared some of her favourite recipes to inject some healthier habits into your lifestyle. These include:
Crunchy broccoli crisps baked with paprika, cheese and chilli flakes.
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
300g Nature’s Pick Broccoli
1 Healy’s Farm Fresh Egg
100g Ardagh Cheddar, grated
2 tbsp The Pantry Plain Flour
½ tsp Stonemill Paprika
½ tsp Stonemill Dried Chilli Flakes
Pinch of Stonemill Salt
Pinch of Stonemill Pepper
2 tbsp Solesta Olive Oil
• 200g Snackrite Salsa Dip
• 2 Baking Trays, lined
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C Fan/Gas Mark 7.
- Place the broccoli florets into a blender and pulse until fully broken down.
- Pour into a bowl with all the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Place heaped teaspoons of the mixture onto a lined baking tray (should make about 18) and press down to make disks, you will need 2 trays.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden on one side, then flip over and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes until crisp.
- Serve warm with salsa as a dip.
Spicy Corn Ribs
Crispy cut corn baked and served with a spicy yoghurt sauce
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
• 2 x Nature’s Pick Corn on the Cob
• 1 x tsp each Stonemill Smoked Paprika, Garlic Granules, Chilli Powder, Dried Oregano and Ground Cumin
• 60ml Solesta Olive Oil
• 5g The Pantry Demerara Sugar
• Stonemill Sea Salt and Black Pepper
For the dip
• 200g Soyummy Natural Vegan Yogurt
• 6g Cucina Tomato Purée
• 1 x tsp Stonemill Paprika
• ½ tsp Stonemill Chilli Flakes
• 6g fresh Egan’s Coriander, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the spices and herbs with the olive oil and sugar – season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the cobs in half lengthways. Put the corn on one of its cut sides and cut down the length of the cob – it will be tough to cut, so be careful. Putting the raw cobs in a microwave for 30 seconds will help you cut through. Then cut each half into 3 lengths, again cutting from the top.
- Put the ribs in the bowl and rub with the oil. Put them on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 20 minutes until crispy.
- Mix the yogurt with the paprika, chilli flakes and tomato purée. Serve the ribs alongside the dish, sprinkled with some chopped coriander.
Grape, Walnut and Stilton Salad
Tasty salad with red grapes, stilton and walnuts. Topped with a mustard vinegar dressing.
Serves: 2 people
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 minutes
• 100g Nature’s Pick Red Grapes
• 50g The Pantry Walnuts
• 80g Specially Selected Tuxford & Tebbutt Mature Blue Stilton
• 200g Country Fresh Mixed Salad Leaves (washed)
• 3 tbsp. Solesta Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 tbsp. The Deli Balsamic Vinegar
• 1 tsp. Bramwells Dijon Mustard
• Pinch Stonemill Salt and Pepper
- Halve the grapes and crumble the Stilton.
- Toast the walnuts in a hot frying pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the salad leaves in a serving bowl along with the Stilton, grapes and walnuts.
- Place all of the salad dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until combined then serve.
Carrot, Parsnip and Apple Soup
Smooth, creamy and wholesome soup packed with vegetables
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
• 350g Nature’s Pick Carrots
• 300g Nature’s Pick Parsnips
• 1 x Large Nature’s Pick Onion
• 1 x Large Flynn’s Bramley Apple
• 2 x Quixo Vegetable Stock Cubes
• 2 x tsp Stonemill Paprika
• 25ml Solesta Olive Oil
• 1x litre boiling water
• 100ml Clonbawn Double cream
• 6g Egan’s Fresh Parsley
• Stonemill Sea salt and black pepper
- Gently sauté the onion in the olive oil in a saucepan until softened, but not browned.
- Add the parsnips and carrots.
- Pour in the boiling water, crumble in the stock cubes and add the paprika.
- Bring back to the boil, cover and simmer.
- Peel and core the apple, chop the flesh finely and add to the soup.
- Cook for 40 minutes until tender.
- Liquidise, season with some salt and pepper, then stir in the cream.
- Prior to serving, scatter some chopped parsley.
For more tasty recipes to enjoy this January and all year round, visit www.aldi.ie/recipes. Aldi’s 149 stores nationwide have everything you could need and more to help you start January off right this year!