CHEESE THE DAY! TUESDAY, 9TH FEBRUARY IS NATIONAL PIZZA DAY!
5 fun facts about everyone’s favourite Italian food!
Two delicious pizza recipes from Aldi!
Arguably the greatest date on the calendar, National Pizza Day is Tuesday, 9th February and Aldi has come up with some fun ways to enjoy everyone’s favourite Italian meal! As well as recipes, Aldi has an extensive range of fresh and frozen pizzas in store every day, as well as pizza sauces and bases for you to create your own at home!
5 facts about pizza that you might not know!
- The first pizza is thought to have been invented in Naples, Italy in the 1500s
- Common pizza toppings in Japan include squid and mayonnaise
- Pizzas in Italy were originally square shaped
- There are 9,000 Pizzerias in New York state alone, and 70,000 across the entire United States!
- While the 9th of February is National Pizza Day, October is National Pizza Month!
Why not try make your own pizza at home? The following recipes from Aldi are great ways to enjoy your favourite dish, and also a good way to get the kids involved!
Beetroot Base Pizza – A sweet, tasty and healthy way to enjoy one of your favourite foods all year round.
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 120 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Tip: Makes 2 x 30cm pizzas
- 2 Nature’s Pick Cooked Beetroot
- 1 x 7g sachet The Pantry Dried Yeast
- 500g The Pantry Gluten Free Plain Flour
- 1½ tsp Stonemill Salt
- 2 tsp Grandessa Squeezy Honey
- 200ml Lukewarm Water
- Specially Selected Irish Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese
- Specially Selected Pesto
- Chopped Nature’s Pick Tomatoes
- The Deli Milano Salami
- Nature’s Pick Peppers
- Nature’s Pick Onions
- Nature’s Pick Asparagus
- Nature’s Pick Basil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
- Put the water into a small bowl and sprinkle over the yeast. Wait until it starts to bubble a little and goes cloudy.
- Roughly chop the beetroot up and put into a food processor along with the honey, salt and yeasty water. Then blitz to a purée.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with a balloon whisk. Add the beetroot mixture and with your hands mix until comes together. If it’s too dry add a little more water, if too wet add a little more flour.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- Put the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with cling film and put in a warm place for about 80 minutes, until it’s doubled in size.
- Divide the dough in half, then roll and cut the dough into 30cm circles.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Put the pizza bases on the sheets.
- Top with mozzarella, pesto, chopped tomatoes, salami, peppers, onions, asparagus, basil or whatever topping you like.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are browned.
Tortilla Chicken Pizzas – Succulent chicken breast and fresh peppers: simple and delicious in equal measure.
Serves: 4 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 4 Village Bakery Tortilla Wraps
- 2 Butcher’s Selection Irish Chicken Breast Fillets
- 50g Ardagh Grated Mature Cheddar
- 125g Specially Selected Irish Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Nature’s Pick Red Pepper
- ½ Nature’s Pick Green Pepper
- 100ml Cucina Passata
- 10ml Specially Selected Pesto
- 20ml Solesta Olive Oil
- Stonemill Black Pepper
- Turn the oven onto its highest setting.
- Thinly slice the chicken breast into strips. Then, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the strips for a couple of minutes until just cooked.
- In a bowl, mix the passata and pesto, then season with some black pepper. Finely, slice the peppers and chop up the drained mozzarella.
- Put the tortillas onto a flat baking sheet and spread with the passata mix. Then, sprinkle over the mozzarella and peppers and divide the chicken strips between them. Lastly, sprinkle over the grated cheddar.
- Bake in the oven for 6 minutes, until the bases are crisp, and serve immediately.
Not to worry if you haven’t mastered the art of baking over the last year, why not try some of the delicious readymade pizza options available at Aldi?
- Everyday Essentials Cheese & Tomato Pizza 47c/114g
- Carlos Margherita/Pepperoni Pizza €1.99/285g/275g-Stonebaked pizza, choose from margherita or pepperoni
- Carlos Ham & Pineapple/Spinach & Ricotta €1.99/330g/285g-Stonebaked pizza, choose from Ham & Pineapple or Spinach & Ricotta
- Specially Selected Pizza Spicy Salami €3.99- Spicy Salami pizza on a sourdough base
- Specially Selected Pepperoni Meat Feast €3.99/550g- Pepperoni pizza on a sourdough base
- Specially Selected Chicken Pesto Pizza €3.99/558g- Chicken pesto pizza with a sourdough base
- Specially Selected Four Cheese & Bacon Pizza €3.99/551g– Four cheese & bacon pizza on a sourdough base
- Carlos Pepperoni Triple Pack €1.89/ 3x 350g
- Carlos Margherita Triple Pack €2.39/3x320g
- Carlos Stonebaked Pepperoni Pizza 65c/349g- Pepperoni pizza on a stonebaked base
- Carlos Stonebaked Cheese Pizza €1.09/352g – Cheese pizza on a stonebaked base
- Carlos Stonebaked Ham & Pineapple Pizza €1.19/387g- Ham & Pineapple pizza on a stonebaked base
- Carlos Sourdough Stonebaked Pizza €1.99/360g/351g/355g– Available in BBQ Meat Feast, Chicken & Chorizo and Mozzarella & Basil
- Carlos Extra Thin & Crisp Pizza €1.79/350g/370g- Choose from American Hot, Sweet Chilli Chicken or Spinach & Ricotta
- or Cheese Feast
- Carlos Pinsa €1.99/350g/380g/400g- Choose from Bacon & Mascarpone, Sweet Chilli Chicken or Chargrilled Vegetable
- Carlos Wood Fired Pizza €2.29/390g/350g- Choose from Pepperoni & Chorizo or Four Cheese
- Carlos Takeaway Pizza €2.49/485g/540g- Choose from Pepperoni or BBQ Chicken
- Carlos Stuffed Crust Pizza €2.69/500g/493g- Choose from BBQ Meat Feast, Double Pepperoni & Chorizo
- Carlos Deep Pan Pizza €1.39/380g– Meat Feast
- Carlos Pizza Subs €1.15/250g (2x125g)- Choose from Cheese & Tomato or Pepperoni
- Carlos Kids Mini Pizza’s €1.89/356g/366g- Choose from Cheese & Tomato or Cheese & Ham
- Saturday Pizza €4.99/400g- Choose from margherita or pepperoni. Grow with Aldi winner 2020 and winner of Gold in the Blas na hÉireann Awards 2020.
Aldi also have some great pizza base options if you want to choose your own toppings but don’t want to make the dough from scratch!
- Pizzado Pizza Base 2pack €2.79- Winner of Grow with Aldi 2019
- Pizza Sorrento Fresh Pizza Bases €2.99/360g- Choose from Stonebaked or Sourdough
You can’t have a pizza without the perfect pizza sauce!
- West Cork Food Co. Pizza Sauce Classic €1.29/300g– A tomato based pizza sauce with herbs including oregano and mild basil flavour
- The Piccolo Pizza Co. Pizza Sauces €1.99/270g– Choose from Original, Basil & Garlic or Herb & Spice. Grow with Aldi winner 2020
Nothing goes better with a pizza than an ice cold beer. Brewed by the renowned Pearse Lyons Brewery Aldi’s Brown Bear craft beer range has won numerous awards in 2020, as has the Roadworks range, which offers an IPA, West Coast IPA ,Pale Ale and a newly introduced non-Alcoholic IPA.
- Roadworks IPA €1.95/500ml –Straw coloured IPA that pours with a light creamy head. First impression is of a powerful burst of strawberries, raspberries and peach followed by an assertive and lingering bittering. The body is moderate to full and with a slight creaminess from the golden oats. Awarded Gold at the Global Beer Masters 2020 and Silver at the World Beer Awards 2020.
- Roadworks Pale Ale €1.95/ 500ml –A straw coloured pale ale that pours with a thick white head. Initial impression is a clean, moderately bittered ale with a fresh citrus taste and aromas of melon, lemon, lime and pineapple. Generous use of wheat gives the beer a tart finish and a slight mist when cold. Awarded Silver at the World Beer Awards 2020 and Bronze at the Global Beer Masters 2020.
- Roadworks West Coast IPA €1.95/ 500ml – Flavours of grapefruit, pine and orange peel with a caramel malt backbone and a piney resinous bitterness. Awarded Bronze at the World Beer Awards 2020 and the Global Beer Masters 2020 and 1 Star at the Great Taste Awards 2020.
- Brown Bear Double IPA €1.95/500ml –A full bodied, copper coloured, hoppy double IPA bursting with citrus fruits and tropical fruit flavours and aroma. An initially sweet impression gives way to an explosion of orange, pink grapefruit and tangerine. Awarded Gold at the Global Beer Masters 2020 and Silver at the World Beer Awards 2020.
- Brown Bear India Pale Lager €1.95/500ml – A gold coloured medium bodied lager style beer with a fresh aroma of lime, kiwi fruit and a hint of gooseberry on the finish. Awarded Silver at the Global Beer Masters 2020 and Bronze at the World Beer Awards 2020. 1 star at great taste awards 2020
- Brown Bear Gluten Free Lager €1.95/500ml – A crisp, straw coloured lager with a classic pilsner malt flavour and a clean lingering bitterness. A gentle hop aroma finishes this easy drinking lager. Awarded Silver at the FreeFrom Awards 2020.
- Roadworks Early start Non Alcoholic IPA €1.26/500ml- This non-alcoholic IPA adds great choice to the Alcohol free beer range at Aldi. It has flavours of tropical fruits with sweet java orange and pink grapefruit. Refreshing bitterness with a smooth malt profile. Perfect with a Spicy Pizza.